Many GTK warnings

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Mar 2 20:06:45 CET 2014

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, houghi wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 12:35:30PM -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>> You can't truly get rid of them without patching the app (in this
>> case gvim) that is provoking the warnings from GLib. The app is not
>> using the GLib API quite correctly. But so long as it works OK for
>> you that's not really an issue.
>
> This would mean that I need to patch gvim and almost all other X programs.
> Just not the ones that don't use GTK. Seems very wrong way to go about it.
> Especially as I did not build anything myself.
> I would agree if this would be only gvim, but it is:
> gvim
> yad
[and so on]

> And those are just the ones I have tested now. As far as I know it happens
> to ALL the programs that use GTK.

It doesn't. There are plenty of GTK programs that don't throw any
warnings. However, I agree it's much more common that one would like.

> I seriously doubt that rebuilding everything (or almost everything) is the
> correct way. And if it is the correct way, why is it not done at Debian
> and I get the upgrades?

Debian is unlikely to patch "upstream" GTK apps on its own (unless perhaps
they're no longer maintained upstream), particularly if they in fact work
OK.

>> Whether or not the warnings appear (for a given version of a GTK
>> app) may also depend on the versions of the libraries in the GTK
>> stack. I suspect that the "pickiness" of the stack with regard to
>> misuse of the API may tend to increase over time. So if you install
>> a new distro or upgrade an existing one, such that the GTK stack is
>> updated, you may start see some warnings that you weren't seeing
>> before.
>
> Can this be decreased again?

I doubt it -- although occasionally a GTK warning is deemed spurious and
removed.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics