Many GTK warnings

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Mar 2 18:35:30 CET 2014

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, houghi wrote:

> I am running Debian Wheezy 7.4. I run XFCE 4.10
> When I run several programs, I get warning.
>
> e.g. houghi at penne : /usr/bin/gvim (gvim:20300): GLib-GObject-WARNING **:
> Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was
> initialised

[and so on]

> I have a workaround by using an alias for this (and some other programs)
> where I have:
> alias gvim='gvim  2> /dev/null'
>
> This is a workaround, so I do not see the warnings all the time. I DO want
> to get really rid of them.

You can't truly get rid of them without patching the app (in this case
gvim) that is provoking the warnings from GLib. The app is not using the
GLib API quite correctly. But so long as it works OK for you that's not
really an issue.

Whether or not the warnings appear (for a given version of a GTK app) may
also depend on the versions of the libraries in the GTK stack. I suspect
that the "pickiness" of the stack with regard to misuse of the API may
tend to increase over time. So if you install a new distro or upgrade an
existing one, such that the GTK stack is updated, you may start see some
warnings that you weren't seeing before.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics