autostarted applications

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Sat Mar 1 10:59:36 CET 2014

Am Sa 01 Mär 2014 01:43:38 CET schrieb Grant:
> Which files can I edit or delete to disable certain autostarted
> applications?  I tried deleting everything in .config/xfce4/autostart
> but hplip and wicd still start.  I'm trying to script this so I can't
> use the GUI.
>
> - Grant

Hello Grant,

Those autostarted applications are defined in /etc/xdg/autostart/.
They're placed there by your distributor who thinks it would be nice to
have them in autostart without user interaction for a better experience.
If you don't want that this are automatic started, you have three
1. delete the files from /etc/xdg/autostart/. Easy thing, but files
could be readded if you update the owning package,
2. copy the files from /etc/xdg/autostart/ you want to disable to
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart/ (defaults to $HOME/.config/autostart/) and
add »Hidden=true« at the end of the file. That's what the GUI would do
for configuration on a per-user-base, or
3. add the »Hidden=true« option to the file in /etc/xdg/autostart/ to
change the system-default, so every user has to explicit enable it.

Regards