Getting to mount

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 27 23:47:15 CEST 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-27 at 20:42 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 00:55:43 +0200, Stephan Haller wrote:
>
> > I do not get an icon on the desktop either when I plug-in an external
> > device. But I do see the newly plug-in device in Thunar, Xfce's file
> > manager. This device is still unmounted but will be mounted immediately
> > as soon as I select it in Thunar.
> >
> > Do you see your devices in Thunar?
>
> 	No, I don't, despite an afternoon of combing through it. Can you
> describe how you get into Thunar, and where in it you find the links? Do
> the devices have to be running for you to see them? Or can you, for
> instance, find a quiescent tablet in Thunar and open it from there?

Launch thunar in a terminal, to see if there are any warnings or error
messages.

$ thunar

The drives, resp. partitions on the drives should appear in the side
pane. If there's no side pane, enabled it: View > Side Pane > and e.g.
check Shortcuts

As already mentioned GVFS is needed, assumed it shouldn't be installed,
then install GVFS. Since I don't have GVFS installed, there's no trash
icon, IOW, if there should be a trash icon in thunar's side pane, then
GVFS is installed and active.

The devices only need to be connected.