Getting to mount

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 22:40:36 CEST 2014

On Ubuntu, I've done something that disabled the automatic drive
recognition as well.  But there is a workaround. Install the
"xfce4-places-plugin" plugin.  In the panel, turn on the places
applet. After that, you insert a usb device, pull down the places
plugin display and the device appears there, greyed out. You can
choose mount there, and un mount as well.

This has been working fine for me.

I'm not bothered to find out what I removed that broke the auto usb
recognition.  I suspect the unholy mixture of crap from Ubunutu Unity,
Gnome3, XFCE4, and Cinnamon did that.  Even though I'm a full time
Linux user, it is just impossible to keep up with the constant
gyration of all these desktops that all work for about 80% of what I
need.  I sure wish Window Maker was maintained (old man gripe).
pj

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:

>         Ordinarily, if I put a USB plug into a port on
>         any of my computers, it will either mount it, or
>         display an icon on the desktop that I can click on
>         to get a menu that includes mounting.
>
>         Suddenly that's not happening any more. Not under
>         xfce4 on Fedora 20, not on CentOS, and not on Mageia.
>
>         I have two new gadgets, a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini phone,
>         and a tablet I don't see a name on, both from Verizon
>         a week or two ago.
>
>         What is wrong? How and where do I fix it? I need these devices,
>         especially the tablet, to be able to talk to my PCs,
>         and incidentally get to terminals, if only over a USB
>         cable.
>

> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Not Quite Clueless Power User
> Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504      Center for Research Methods
University of Kansas                 University of Kansas
http://pj.freefaculty.org               http://quant.ku.edu