Getting to mount

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jul 26 11:15:30 CEST 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 00:55 +0200, Stephan Haller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not get an icon on the desktop either when I plug-in an external
> device. But I do see the newly plug-in device in Thunar, Xfce's file
> manager. This device is still unmounted but will be mounted immediately
> as soon as I select it in Thunar.
>
> Do you see your devices in Thunar?

To see them automatically in Thunar there's the need to install GVFS.
People using "green drives" shouldn't install GVFS, since it will kill
the drives. All the times a drive goes to sleep, GVFS will wake up the
drive, so the drives spin down and up again and again. Regarding to an
EU Regulation all external drives sold in the EU are "green drives". If
I would use GVFS my WD drive every 30 minutes would spin down and up.
Even if you don't want a "green drive", it often can't be disabled. JFTR
I want the drive to go to sleep. GVFS simply is broken software, nobody
is willing to fix.

However, assumed the OS the OP does use, will use udev and Fedora likely
does use it, the issue most likely is related to a bad or completely
missing udev rule.

I prefer to mount devices by command line, resp. by scripts, but assumed
somebody won't care about udev rules and doesn't want to install GVFS or
the KDE counterpart, I recommend to use rodent http://xffm.org/#rodent .

Left click in rodent's file manager, select "Go", select "Mount Point",
left click an unmounted device, select "Mount the volume...", ... .

Regards,
Ralf