Evolution mail notification

Stephan Haller nomad at froevel.de
Thu Jul 24 20:27:40 CEST 2014

Hi @all,

I don't know if anybody on this list is using Evolution as his main mail
client. I do - even it is a heavy Gnome application.

I also used the external plugin "evolution-tray" which I patched for
every new version of Evolution but now I got version 3.12 at my Gentoo
system and it was no easy patching anymore by just adding some lines. So
I decided to write a quick'n'dirty application which should with every
version of Evolution by listening to dbus message sent by the standard
plugin "Mail notification". This application will provide a status icon
in system tray which highlights to indicate that a new message is
available. As soon as any message read (even already seen and read
message) it will unhighlight. Clicking on that icon will switch to
Evolution (activate its main window).

Just compile the attachment with the following command and run
"evolution-mail-notification-xfce" in an always open terminal or via ALT
+F2 ("Run an application..."):

----
gcc $(pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0 gio-2.0 gtk+-2.0) -fPIC -o
evolution-mail-notification-xfce evolution-mail-notification-xfce.c
----

Feel free to improve this code, making a Xfce panel plugin from it,
making use of autotools, forking it etc. ;)

Regards,
Stephan