No "Edit Menu" in Applications menu properties ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 22 21:54:45 CEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 15:10 -0400, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> which should persuade you I am already using the original
> "Applications menu"

My bad :). Btw. I switched to a WM, JWM, but I adopted some very, very
useful Xfce4 apps. I edited a minimalist tailor-made JWM menu + scrips
that automatically launch combinations of apps I need (I already did
that when using Xfce4, since scripts are nice to restore audio
production sessions, I dislike audio session managers). To get a GUI for
all available apps, on top of my JWM menu, I add xfce4-appfinder (I also
adopted Alt+F3 to launch it). IMO there isn't a perfect menu, unless you
edit a menu that fits to your workflow. JFTR Ubuntu Studio comes with a
special Xfce4 menu, the maintainers, especially Len, do a god job, but
it still is not an individual tailor made menu. IMO editing the menu by
alacarte or any alternative can't fit to what an individual user needs
and there's no real difference between Whisker and the Xfce4 default
menu. Just my 2 Cents, I'm at odds with Xfce4 menus and the much to
complicated way to really, really customize them.

Anyway, Xfce4 is the only DE I like :), a WM without a DE has got some
advantages and some drawbacks ;). For Xfce4 I'm missing a documentation
how to really edit the menu. A link is welcome ;).

Regards,
Ralf