Xfce is very slow, part 2

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 29 13:57:51 CET 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 12:30 +0000, Miguel Guedes wrote:
> I'm unsure whether other people on this thread have suggested the
> following already but, in order to further attempt to diagnose Hartmut's
> problem, I would try running a few programs with the X server off (in
> tty mode, no graphical display in use) and see if the slowdown still
> persists. If it doesn't, then perhaps it could be X server (and/or its
> stack) related and we could all better direct our efforts to try and
> resolve this for Hartmut.

No need to do that:

                                                From: Hartmut Haase
                                                Subject: Re: Xfce is
                                                very slow, part 2
                                                Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014
                                                18:59:11 +0100

                                                2. LMDE + xfce 4.10 from
                                                Debian: fine
                                                3. Xubuntu + xfce 4.10
                                                from Xubuntu: too slow

JFTR I made audio productions running KDE with 512 MiB on a single core
900 MHz Athlon. IOW I'm sure Hartmut's computer has all that is needed
to launch an app using Xfce without waiting 10 seconds for the app.

His Ubuntu Xfce is fishy. The troubleshooting does consume more time,
than it would take to reinstall Xubuntu from a new downloaded ISO and
with checking the checksum before burning it.

It's possible to backup home and to get a list of all installed apps and
than to automatically reinstall all the apps and to restore personal
data from the home backup, without restoring Xfce related files.