Xfce is very slow, part 2

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 00:53:53 CET 2014

Also /etc/hosts was mentioned earlier but I didn't see the conclusion.

Does the following command return straight away or get stuck for 10
seconds. I wouldn't have thought this could affect the desktop so badly
but this sounds like a 'modern'! potentially flaky desktop with who
knows what running.

telnet `/bin/hostname`

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)