Xfce is very slow, part 2

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 19:24:42 CET 2014

previously on this list Hartmut Haase contributed:

> I don't believe it is the HDD because XP runs fast enaugh.

Most likely. Though it's still possible that if it's low power supplied
to the HDD that  it may be Linux is using a little more power and just
pushing it over the edge for the system power supply for some reason.
I see it's a desktop so how many watts does the power supply say on the
sticker on it's side (inside the case)?

If it still happens under fvwm it's not xfce and you can go
back to xfce and look elsewhere. If it still does so when you plug the
HDD into another different machine (linux will boot, XP not likely)
then you have pretty much ruled out a hardware issue.

I've had Linux running fine on a machine with hardware wear issues that
caused Windows to Blue Screen.

It's certainly possible that a hardware issue from new or wear and tear
could be triggering a software bug.

One example though not causing 10 second stops would be fans not working
properly due to acpi incompatibility and the cpu overheating but that
would usually mean reboots (not just really old, atleast one badly
designed Intel Toshiba laptop too) or constantly being slow depending
on the processor model (most likely).

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)