Xfce is very slow, part 2

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sat Jan 25 18:45:23 CET 2014

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014, Hartmut Haase wrote:

> I watched the system monitor now for a couple of days, and could not see
> heavy loads that would slow down the system.
> What I saw is: whenever I concentrate my work for a while on one desktop, the
> rest of the system seems to "fall asleep", and wakes up slowly if I click on
> other desktops again.

We've been round and round on this issue for a long time now without
achieving any apparent resolution.

To try to push this foward, could you give us (a) a reasonably complete
run-down on your system and (b) a precise statement of what "very slow"
means to you?

By a run-down on your system I mean: hardware (CPU, RAM, HDD, graphics);
base system (distro name and version, kernel, word-length, C library
version); desktop (Xfce version, window manager, relevant daemons
running). I know you have provided some of this info before, but it's
scattered across dozens of postings and it's hard to get an overview.

On the "very slow" business you said originally that "sometimes actions
need up to 10 seconds": could you give us a precise example of an action
that takes that long?

This is very puzzling, since on modern hardware (even not so modern
hardware) Xfce is generally very snappy, with minimal latency, unless the
system is badly misconfigured, or there are far too many tasks running, or
perhaps some seriously over-zealous power management is in force. (Or, of
course, the hardware is broken, but you seem to be ruling that out.)

Allin Cottrell