Xfce is very slow, part 2

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 15 01:45:44 CET 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 01:20 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > JFTR
> >
> > " Xubuntu is a community‑developed, Ubuntu‑based Linux operating system.
> > Its minimum requirements are:
> >
> >     CPU: 500Mhz+
> >     RAM: 256MiB+ for Desktop/LiveCD - 512MiB recommended
> >     Hard drive space: 5GB
> >     Graphics card and monitor capable of 800×600 resolution" -
> > http://wiki.xfce.org/minimum_requirements
> >
> > I suspect this includes usage of a web browser such as Firefox or Opera,
> > IOW averaged desktop usage.
> >
> Definitely not Opera with JavaScript and plug-ins enabled, ~15 running
> tabs including one for Gmail and ~100 closed tabs, after a couple days
> of running. Right now Opera registers RSS: 860MiB on my system (but
> sometimes I catch it at higher values). But then it has a nasty habit
> of leaking memory, too.  If anything remotely similar happens on
> Hartmut's system with only 1GB of RAM, without a recent system reboot,
> then I can easily imagine the slow-downs that he describes.

IOW solving the issue could be done by adding additional RAM? FWIW
depending to the used RAM it can't harm to spend just a few EUR for RAM.

http://www.reichelt.de/Arbeitsspeicher-CPUs/2/index.html?&ACTION=2&LA=2&GROUPID=6107&SHOW=1

I never had issues with Opera and IMO at least > 512 MiB is a valid
value to start using a lightweight DE without such issues. I guess that
the available amount of RAM unlikely will cause those issues:

"sometimes actions need up to 10 seconds: changing the desktop, starting
a program, changing windows on a desktop etc. top shows no special
loads, and I don't know where to look." -
http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2014-January/032846.html

Perhaps Hartmut should run something like the Puppy Linux Live media
with Jwm, just for testing purpose, the HDD isn't needed and it for sure
doesn't need much RAM, it does use a lightweight WM, no DE:

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso.md5.txt

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-PAE.iso
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-PAE.iso.md5.txt

Just to ensure that there aren't issues for something light weighted like this Live Linux.