Xfce is very slow, part 2

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 01:20:09 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> JFTR
>
> " Xubuntu is a community‑developed, Ubuntu‑based Linux operating system.
> Its minimum requirements are:
>
>     CPU: 500Mhz+
>     RAM: 256MiB+ for Desktop/LiveCD - 512MiB recommended
>     Hard drive space: 5GB
>     Graphics card and monitor capable of 800×600 resolution" -
> http://wiki.xfce.org/minimum_requirements
>
> I suspect this includes usage of a web browser such as Firefox or Opera,
> IOW averaged desktop usage.

Definitely not Opera with JavaScript and plug-ins enabled, ~15 running
tabs including one for Gmail and ~100 closed tabs, after a couple days
of running. Right now Opera registers RSS: 860MiB on my system (but
sometimes I catch it at higher values). But then it has a nasty habit
of leaking memory, too.  If anything remotely similar happens on
Hartmut's system with only 1GB of RAM, without a recent system reboot,
then I can easily imagine the slow-downs that he describes.

Liviu