Xfce is very slow, part 2

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 15 00:25:47 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 22:39 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM, Maximilien Noal
> > Hartmut's computer has about 650 MB of free RAM
> Not near enough if

It's possible that some apps can lock memory, there's a way I don't
remember to free this locked memory, without rebooting, it likely is
somewhere in the jack-devel, Linux audio users or Linux audio developers
archive and IIRC it was mentioned by Paul Davis. I searched my emails,
but it takes to long to search for all imaginable phrases, so the search
was without success. However, this is known for e.g. jackd.

Perhaps there's the need to allow apps to lock memory, at least jackd
needs an entry in /etc/security/limits.conf, but even this might be
another memory thingy, than that thingy that is responsible for not
giving some memory free, without reboot or some special way, a command
or script.

However, Opera shouldn't cause this issue and the OP at least should get
rid of such an issue after rebooting and if it does appear again likely
psaux, top or something else should show the culprit.

OTOH, perhaps the memory already is limited by a PAM entry for a special
group.

http://www.seifried.org/lasg/users/