Xfce is very slow, part 2

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 23:01:05 CET 2014

Le 14/01/2014 18:45, Allin Cottrell a écrit :
> [snip]
>> $>free
>>             Gesamt Belegt Frei Gemeinsam Puffer Cached
>> Speicher:    1018104     905188     112916          0 191836     360764
>> -/+ Puffer/Cache:     352588     665516
>> Auslagerungsdatei:    1052220     175804     876416
>
> This seems more relevant: you have about 90% of RAM in use and are
> well into swap. With your system in that position I can see that it
> might take a while to start up another big application. Maybe you're
> running something that's gradually leaking memory.

Huh ?
Hartmut's computer has about 650 MB of free RAM (that's about the only
useful figure in free's output : "real" free RAM + amout of RAM used for
buffers and cache). I'd say that perfectly healthy. Caches and buffers
don't count, as they are only used by Linux to speed up the computer,
and the memory used by them is freed as needed for programs.

Furthermore, the 'free' program doesn't say anything about swap usage.
For that, you'll have to run htop or gnome-system-monitor (and even
then, it's only an estimation) or vmstat.

Bottom line : 90 % of RAM usage is normal :
> max-laptop% free -m
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers cached
> Mem:          5859       5693        166         92 45       4249
> -/+ buffers/cache:       1398       4461
> Swap:            0          0          0
And I have no swap, as it is useless with 6 GB of RAM.