Xfce is very slow, part 2

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Tue Jan 14 19:18:56 CET 2014

Am 14.01.2014 18:06, schrieb Hartmut Haase:
> Xubuntu 13.10 + Xfce 4.10
> Hi,
> as my first thread about that topic is now confusing and people are
> starting to insult each other let me try a new one.
>
> I just put the gnome-system-monitor (is there a better one?) into the
> panel for better watching. CPU is less than 10%, memory 335/994, swap
> 173/1027
There are
- xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
- xfce4-diskperf-plugin
- xfce4-fsguard-plugin
- xfce4-netload-plugin
- xfce4-systemload-plugin
- xfce4-wavelan-plugin
which can be used to track certain system values.
Note: the gnome-system-monitor is added to the xfce4-panel with
xfapplet. This will stop working as soon as Gnome 2 will be removed from
your distribution!

> 1. Another user behaves the same way.
Indicates that it is not the fault of xfce or any other userspace program.

> 2. I still don't understand what haapens if I uninstall gvfs.
GVFS provides for example the trash can and the possibility to mount
things as user alas netmounts, for example samba.

> 3. Edit /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount and change AutoMount=true
> to AutoMount=false: no effect
Never ever change something beyond /usr/, except for /usr/local/. See
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

> 4. C) Really bad HDD performance: my HDD is the newest part of the PC
> $>sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
>> ==> WARNING: A firmware update for this drive may be available,
> see the following Seagate web pages:
> http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207931en
> http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/213891en
>Maybe you can try to install to install the firmware updates as
mentioned by the tool.
To check if your drive is slow and causing the bottle neck, you can use
a disk stress test like bonnie++. If it's slow, you got a bad hard
drive. Happens sometimes.

> 5. D) Lack of graphic power if desktop is set up to use desktop effects:
> I don't use desktop effects
Try using the desktop effects. They will reduce the CPU load by
rendering the desktop with the GPU.

> 6. Post the output of free:
> $>free
>              Gesamt Belegt Frei Gemeinsam Puffer Cached
> Speicher:    1018104     905188     112916          0     191836     360764
> -/+ Puffer/Cache:     352588     665516
> Auslagerungsdatei:    1052220     175804     876416
You swap plenty. This can cause a slow down, too, since the drive is not
nearly as fast as the cache.

Regards