Xfce is very slow, part 2

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 14 18:30:52 CET 2014

Hi Hartmut,

I reply without line breaking for the command line output. Your HDD is
the culprit. I was thinking of it by the first reply you got ;).
http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2014-January/032847.html

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 18:06 +0100, Hartmut Haase wrote:
> my HDD is the newest part of the PC
> $sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
>    1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   118   099   006    Pre-fail Always       -       192049136
                                                                                         ^^^^^^^^^
One of my drives:
# smartctl -a /dev/sdc
  ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
                                                                                         ^^^^^^^^^

If the drive is new, perhaps you only need to reconnect the cable. STAT
cables tend to lose contact without being broken. I hot glued my SATA
connectors to the board and drives.

Perhaps you should run other tests too and perhaps some of the trolls
will mention useful commands, since I planed to unsubscribe.

Regards,
Ralf