Xfce is very, very, very slow

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Tue Jan 14 15:10:55 CET 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 07:08:31 -0500
Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 12:49 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Probably not, I never experienced something like that and I
> > > upgraded Xfce now for like four years.
> > > I think there must be something else going on and you need to
> > > closely monitor everything what's happening during those slow
> > > periods.
> >
> > Nothing became better on Hartmut's machine when he run Xfce by a new
> > user, so it shouldn't be related to something in /home.
> >
> > I've got Debian, *buntu and Arch Linux installed. The only good
> > distro IMO is Arch Linux. Both Debian and *buntu often fail. Debian
> > might be a good distro for servers, but *buntu is good for nothing,
> > excepted of the Ubuntu Studio work, they do a good job and it's
> > based on Xubuntu. The "drawback" of Arch Linux "is" that the user
> > has to set-up everything and this has to be done in the old school
> > style, KISS, no Windows like GUIs. This "drawback" IMO is an
> > ___advantage___, since this way no unwanted service will run etc..
>
> Woah... woah... woah. Debian is a good Distro for Servers (ONLY)?
>
> I guess I'll have to stop using Debian Sid for my desktops and laptops
> then. Wow after all there years (14 or so), it'll be a shame.
>
> Wow and you say Arch is the best? OHHHH, OK! Perfect, I'll get right
> on converting to that.
>
> Ralf, come on, you have just sold yourself down the river on
> credibility there. Not to mention the *buntu comment. Let us reel it
> in a bit and come back to Earth.
>
> I've had all of about 2 hours of real problems with my machines in
> those 14 years. Sure some stuff doesn't work from time to time... but
> then that happens in *every* distro. Categorically proclaiming
> something like this is just as credible as says "Windows Rulez!"
>
> Yep, I went there. Please don't make m get any crazier.

This is unnecessary.

The comments of Ralf Mardorf are not a problem as much as it is a
problem if at all neither even a comment such as "Windows Rulez!" nor
an extremely biased comment by a fan or a volunteer.

The problem is the audacity of a billionaire, multimillionaire, or
whatever kind of relatively powerful entity falsely professing to be
providing an exclusive product by claiming to be "the" only one, "the"
best etc. and, by doing so, other projects (GNU/Linux distributions or
X11 desktop environments) are unjustly being ignored and depressed as a
consequence of such bad maneuvering which is anything negative amongst
Free and Open Source Software.

If I ever knew how easy it is to build, providing you have a wired
connection available, or to request a package to automatically build
b43* or STA wireless driver, I would never get the distro of Canonical
LTD as a first distro (actually, Slax 5 was my first distro on USB).

--
Defending the constitution is expensive!
Help Lavabit.com by donating to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund