Xfce is very, very, very slow

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 19:56:51 CET 2014

On 13/01/14 18:00, Hartmut Haase wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>> When I install a new version of Xubuntu, (I never try upgrades),
> can that be the reason? I ALWAYS upgrade, because I don't want to lose
> all my settings by installing from the scratch. Or do you keep your
> /home partition?

I always install rather than upgrade because I prefer it, not because I
think it is necessarily the best way. I do a backup of /home first on to
an external hard drive, or at least those parts which I want to keep.
Then I set up the new version exactly how I want it first, and then copy
over just those parts of the previous /home that I want to keep.

I know that it is a pain and takes a while, but I don’t mind. And, as I
normally stick with the LTS versions, it does not happen very often.

As I said, each to his own.

Neil