import images from a camera

Sergey grrwlf at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 09:42:52 CET 2014

On 10.01.2014 01:55, Comet Friend wrote:
> I have not really an answer, just a thought that might help you one
> step further. The reason, why no file manager window is open
> automatically when you connect your camera may be the protocol or USB
> mode used for the connection. Many cameras use PPTP (or so), which is
> not supported by most file managers. It is supported by programs, such
> as Geeqie, however. Geeqie relies on gPhoto for this, AFAIK, so make
> sure that you have this installed in your system.
>
> Some cameras (and most smartphones, except Android and Apple --- hmm,
> ok, some smartphones) allow to change the connection mode to something
> like "storage device". If your camera can do this, and you switch
> mode, a file manager like Thunar should "see" your device as if it was
> an USB stick, which is something a file manager can handle. ;)

That would be too simple. I have Nokia N9 phone right here with me. It
has an option you are talking about and may act as a mass storage
device. Also it has a DCIM folder. So I think I gave a correct
description of a problem. My distro is quite unusual (I'm using NixOS)
so it is more likely that problem is caused by a XFCE misconfiguration,
not by system-level services.

Regards,
Sergey