Udev getting confused. (Maybe OT ;-3(

Renaud OLGIATI (Ron) renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Thu Jan 9 21:13:45 CET 2014

Dont know if this is an Xfce-related problem, or just a coincidence; ten months ago I renounced KDE, its pomps and its works (and bloat) and migrated from Mageia/KDE to SolydX/Xfce.

Since then I have been getting more and more odd happenings which I dont know if they are Xfce-related, they could be related to udev (but I'll try here, in case someone can help  ;-3)

Symptoms:
- USB pendrives refusing to mount; or mounting once, and then no more; and this until I go to another computer and run a "# tune2fs -U random /dev/sdc1" then they will mount (once).
When the drive fails to mount, dmesg still shows that it has been detected.

- When the DVD drive is empty, it shows a spurious volume name which I can open in Thunar; top dir is displayed, but get an error if I try to open one of the files. Drives has problems opening some DVDs.

- When a USB pendrive has mounted, and I click on the Eject icon in Thunar to umount/eject it, Thunar often crashes.

I have been toying with the idea of erasing all the udev data in /etc/udev, but am feart of hosing my system.

Any advice / ideas ?

TIA,

Ron.
--