desktop for Mageia 4?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Feb 9 21:58:19 CET 2014

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 22:25:09 +0100, Stephan Haller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.02.2014, 20:12 +0000 schrieb Beartooth:
>>
>> 	I'm not sure what I'm running (and don't know how to check) on a
>> new install of Mageia 4; but it sure doesn't seem to me to be my
>> favored xfce4. Anybody know a safe and sure way to get it?? (I haven't
>> spotted any choice on the login screen ...)
> Good question. I have never thought about it ;) Maybe this way helps to
> identify the desktop if it is not identified visually.
>
> Run the following command on a terminal at the desktop:
>
> export -p | grep DESKTOP_SESSION
>
> I woulde expect an output similar to this:
>
> declare -x DESKTOP_SESSION="Xfce Session"
>
> I should contain "Xfce".

	Alas! I get:

[btth at localhost ~]$ export -p | grep DESKTOP_SESSION
declare -x DESKTOP_SESSION="default"
[btth at localhost ~]$

> Another way is look at the running processes with "ps auxfw" and to look
> for a process called "xfce4-session". If you can see it  I would say you
> are running Xfce.

	Again alas! I tried both "ps auxfw|grep xfce" and "ps auxfw|most"
and scanned the latter.

	So what is the default desktop for M 4, and how do I get xfce
instead?? I'm sure I had it in M 3.
Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.