All windows end up in upper left hand corner.

Jape Person japers at comcast.net
Sun Feb 2 02:04:58 CET 2014

On 02/01/2014 06:47 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> This is an old problem that is recurring. All my
> application windows go to the upper left hand
> corner and cannot be moved from there.
>
> Should I just get rid of the .config/xfce4
> directory in my directory and allow the system to
> recreate it?

I saw this a few times with Xfce 4.6 and 4.8. The solution you mention
might work, but you wind up having to reconfigure your desktop every
time you delete the configuration files.

A typical cause of this window behavior might be xfwm4 failing. Is xfwm4
running? If not, you won't have window decorations, and you won't be
able to move or resize the windows as usual.

If xfwm4 fails just before logging out, shutting down, or rebooting with
the system set up to save configuration on logout the window manager
might not be starting with the system. In that way, the problem gets
carried over into your next session.

You might check Session and Startup settings to be sure that the system
is starting xfwm4 automatically, and you might turn off the Save Session
setting to keep it from doing this to you (after you save the session
with xfwm4 running once).

There are other possibilities, but this seems most likely to me given
the information you posted.