K3B strangeness

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Fri Apr 18 19:42:28 CEST 2014

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:08:27 -0400
brian <brian at meadows.pair.com> wrote:

> On 04/16/2014 09:15 AM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> > previously on this list brian contributed:
> >
> >> The problem with K3b (that's version 2.0.2) is that it doesn't
> >> recognise ANY of my blank media (I've tried half a dozen blank
> >> DVDs, three DVD+R and three DVD-R) as suitable for writing.
> >> However, if I just create an image of the data I want to burn and
> >> then use the 'burn DVD image' option under the Tools menu to burn
> >> the image I've just created, then it all works fine, with either
> >> type of media.
> >>
> >> I don't understand this. Obviously the workround is trivial, so
> >> it's nothing more than an annoyance, but it USED to work OK.
> >>
> >> Anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > Xfburn is xfces tool. I use that and commandline tools when I need
> > extra options like nopad which was why I used k3b. I am not sure
> > what the correct list would be however aside from the general kde
> > ones.
> >
> > K3B 2 now solely depends on udisks for drive detection even when
> > told what device file set with correct permissions to use. In turn
> > this may mean polkit or udev or udev rules etc. may be your issue.
> > I have no idea why k3b moved solely to udisks and all questions as
> > to why have seemingly gone unanswered. As far as I can tell, all
> > that depending on udisks achieves is limiting their user base as I
> > am unaware of any improvement over k3b 1 as a result of moving away
> > from the everything is a file approach. I'd guess just having a
> > little less code to maintain seemed like a good idea without
> > considering if it may bring non local and so more complex issues
> > and bug reports.
> >
> > I always liked parts of kde and used to use it but startup time of
> > things like kate on xfce and the ever growing size of kde core parts
> > that are obviously mis-managed in terms of code actually required
> > puts me off more and more even having a few kde apps.

This is surprising to read. I have not used K3B for some years, but I
would like to point out that, as far as it concerns to K3B of 2010, it
is the best Disc Burner for beginners of Linux and I highly recommend
it.

Yet, since nowadays, XfBurn is sufficing to all of my needs, I can
and do recommend on it, instead.