K3B strangeness

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Wed Apr 16 16:08:27 CEST 2014

On 04/16/2014 09:15 AM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> previously on this list brian contributed:
>
>> The problem with K3b (that's version 2.0.2) is that it doesn't
>> recognise ANY of my blank media (I've tried half a dozen blank DVDs,
>> three DVD+R and three DVD-R) as suitable for writing. However, if I
>> just create an image of the data I want to burn and then use the 'burn
>> DVD image' option under the Tools menu to burn the image I've just
>> created, then it all works fine, with either type of media.
>>
>> I don't understand this. Obviously the workround is trivial, so it's
>> nothing more than an annoyance, but it USED to work OK.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Xfburn is xfces tool. I use that and commandline tools when I need extra
> options like nopad which was why I used k3b. I am not sure what the
> correct list would be however aside from the general kde ones.
>
> K3B 2 now solely depends on udisks for drive detection even when told
> what device file set with correct permissions to use. In turn this may
> mean polkit or udev or udev rules etc. may be your issue. I have no idea
> why k3b moved solely to udisks and all questions as to why have
> seemingly gone unanswered. As far as I can tell, all that depending on
> udisks achieves is limiting their user base as I am unaware of any
> improvement over k3b 1 as a result of moving away from the everything
> is a file approach. I'd guess just having a little less code to
> maintain seemed like a good idea without considering if it may bring
> non local and so more complex issues and bug reports.
>
> I always liked parts of kde and used to use it but startup time of
> things like kate on xfce and the ever growing size of kde core parts
> that are obviously mis-managed in terms of code actually required puts
> me off more and more even having a few kde apps.

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin. I stuck with K3b because that was
the one with which I was familiar, but I guess it's time to take a
look at Xfburn. I hear what you say about KDE, I used to like it at
version 3.x, but 4.x, as you suggest, is bloatware of the worst kind.
Why they had to do that to a perfectly good desktop is beyond me.

Brian.