Udisk problem ? (was Re: K3B strangeness)

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Wed Apr 16 18:10:06 CEST 2014

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:33:32 +0100
Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > Is there a way to make udev and/or polkit "forget" all the data of the removable drives they have "seen" ?

> Well a particular rule could be causing problems and perhaps installing
> media-player-info as suggested by libsolid may help with this issue.

> Udev creates device files on the fly and so could but is unlikely to
> be the problem, polkit and udisks allow mounting, unmouting and
> "querying" and are more likely candidates.

> Probably easiest to check for a buglist for k3b or if it works on a
> fresh install.

Sorry, I thoughtlessly jumped into a thread, and went off at a slight angle; corrected with new subject.

My problem is two-fold, and not related to K3B:

Whenever there is no media in my DVD drive, both PCManfm, Thunar and the Mount plugin (not to mention df in a console) all display an in-existent "/Media/Bluebird drive"; I can open it in PCManfm, ans see it contains various .exe files as well as an autorun.inf; I can even open autorun.inf in mousepad. Yet there is nothing in the drive, which opens if I click on it in the mount plugin or the eject button in PSManfm or Thunar, but not if I press the button on the physical drive....

Other anomaly came to light after I dd's one same .iso image on several SD cards of differing dimensions: after the partitions had been resized to the maximum possible (for use in a Raspberry Pi) the SD cards are no longer recognized by the XFCE:SolydX, I cannot mount (or gparted) them. I suppose something got confused somewhere, and it wont look at them because they now no longer correspond to what is on file for the UUID; but I wish I could mount them without having first to go ad reformat them on the wife's Windows box...

Cheers,

Ron.