Keyboard setup bug/issue

Christian Jaeger chrjae at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 11:30:02 CEST 2013

2013/9/20 Lars Behrens <Lars.Behrens at kit.edu>

> In your case it should be 'setxkbmap ch,de nodeadkeys' if I didn't get
> you wrong.

That's very interesting. Although this exactly *broke* it in the same way
keyboard replugging does. Or, there's no difference in behavior between
these re deadness:

chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap ch,de nodeadkeys
chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap ch,de nono
chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap ch,de foobar
chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap ch,de
chris at novo:~$

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ch does have

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "de_nodeadkeys" {
    // modify the basic Swiss German layout not to have any dead keys
    include "ch(basic)"
    name[Group1]= "German (Switzerland, eliminate dead keys)";
    key <AE11> { [  apostrophe, question,        acute  ] };
    key <AE12> { [ asciicircum,    grave,   asciitilde  ] };
    key <AD12> { [   diaeresis,   exclam, bracketright  ] };
};

so I've tried

chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap ch,de_nodeadkeys
Error loading new keyboard description
chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ch
Error loading new keyboard description
chris at novo:~$

chris at novo:~$ xkbcomp /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ch
chris at novo:~$ setxkbmap ch,de nodeadkeys
chris at novo:~$

nope, still dead.

Thanks Harald, I'll try your suggestion when I get some time compiling
xfce-settings/(xfce).

Christian.