Function Keys binding in Xfce Terminal

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Oct 8 20:28:09 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 02:13:28PM +0100, Hassen wrote:

> I need to disable the function keys binding in xfce terminal, eg. F1
> is set for Help and I need to use that key for my application,

Found via via on http://docs.xfce.org/faq
So what you can do for this specific case
1) Run xfce4-appearance-settings, go to Settings and activate Enable
editable accelerators
2) In XFCE Terminal with the mouse select the in Help the Contents that
also says F1 at the end
3) To delete the option, press 'Delete' or 'Backspace'. Backspace edits
the F1 to Backspace, so it re-assigns another key.
If you want e.g. F3 as the 'Help' button (like old times) you press F3

You can assign any key combination to that or any other menu in any
program or remove it, including a single letter.

Once you have edited or removed whatever you wanted, it is best to remove
the 'Enable editable accelerators' as not to edit them by accident.

This works for many programs. e.g. if you dislike the SHIFT-CTRL-q, but
rather use CTRL-q, you can edit that as well. Or remove it completely, so
not to close the program via shortcut.

I believe the only keys that can not be assigned are SPACE and DEL

I have removed the F1 key and I was able to get to use the F1 in mutt. It
is live, so no need to relaunch. So at least with me it works.

See both
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/appearance#menu_and_buttons and
http://docs.xfce.org/faq if things do not work out.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: