Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Wed Nov 27 20:25:37 CET 2013

Am 27.11.2013 13:18, schrieb Stephan Haller:
> Hi @all,
>

> Nearly since one and a half years I'm a so called "gnome3 refugee" and
> switched over to xfce completely ;) Before I always looked at xfce every
> now and then to see the improvements. But one thing I'm missing and
> that's the way how window switching and application launching is done in
> Gnome Shell of Gnome 3.
>
> So I decided to try if I can rewrite it and make it fit into xfce. The
> project is called "xfdashboard". It's not the best name but it was first
> one coming into my mind ;)  Now I reached the point where the
> application is still neither complete nor finished nor nice-looking but
> in an usable state. You can switch between the windows of current
> workspace, start application from the quicklaunch bar at the left, add
> or remove new applications to quicklaunch bar by drag'n'drop and search
> for applications by just typing the application's display name,
> description or command.
>
> I was encouraged to show it to a wider public audience so I created a
> preview tarball which can be downloaded at:
> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131125
>
> To build xfdashboard the following libraries and headers (-dev packages)
> have to be installed:
>
> libwnck >= 2.10
> clutter >= 1.12
> glib >= 2.30.3
> gio >= 2.30.3
> gio-unix-2.0 >= 2.30.3
> xfconf >= 4.10.0
> dbus-glib >= 0.98
>
> To use xfdashboard I advice to define an application shortcut in
> Settings -> Keyboard like <Super>+<Tab> which calls "xfdashboard".
>
> Although it is working and usable for me and might crash on your
> workstation. One issue I know about is one machine using OSS driver
> nouveau (for nvidia graphics adapter) has broken textures sometimes
> rendering the application unusable.
>
> You're welcome for any kind of feedback.
>
> The project's page itself is located at:
> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Can you please point out more why you do this? Don't get me wrong, I'm
happy with every dev working for and with Xfce, but what makes your
project superior to the gnome-shell or some clever combination of the
whisker-menu and some custom panels?
And do you really need clutter? Xfce is not the lightweight and fast
desktop environment because it uses fancy graphics everywhere. You can't
even expect hardware acceleration in some environments.
I'm looking forward to your screen cast, maybe it can light my thoughts.

Regards