The future of Xfce (or beating the Gtk3 horse to death)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:06:03 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM, houghi <houghi at houghi.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 04:34:45PM -0500, Alan Jesser wrote:
>> I love Xfce but I agree that there are worries out there about Gtk and the
>> direction it is heading. Now moving to EFL sounds great but then we run into
>> the issue of being too similar to Enlightenment. How well will Xfce fair if
>> people just see it as the same thing as E17, let alone it's going to take time
>> for people to adopt the EFL since it took E17 so long to release. I've used E17
>> and achieving a uniform look with EFL/Gtk/Qt is pretty difficult. This may
>> improve in time but for now it would be difficult to know if this would deter
>> people or not.
>
> What is the downside of XFCE being too similar to Enlightenment?

I also see no issue with Xfce becoming similar to  Enlightenment. In
recent times Xfce has always been similar to Gnome, and this hasn't
stopped Xfce users being happy with Xfce. So the real question here is
whether EFL provides sufficient functionality for the needs of the
Xfce environment, and whether EFL development and support prospects
are looking better than what we currently have with Gtk3.

Regards,
Liviu