The future of Xfce (or beating the Gtk3 horse to death)

Alan Jesser nigot30 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:34:45 CET 2013

I love Xfce but I agree that there are worries out there about Gtk and the direction it is heading. Now moving to EFL sounds great but then we run into the issue of being too similar to Enlightenment. How well will Xfce fair if people just see it as the same thing as E17, let alone it's going to take time for people to adopt the EFL since it took E17 so long to release. I've used E17 and achieving a uniform look with EFL/Gtk/Qt is pretty difficult. This may improve in time but for now it would be difficult to know if this would deter people or not.

Now the only real options to consider are Gtk/EFL/Qt, Gtk is causing concern, thus this conversation. EFL is pretty stable but not widely adopted at this point. Qt is widely used but seen as "heavier" than Gtk. I have been reading that Qt5 is much more modular than Qt4. With this Qt5 may be lighter than Qt4. But the real questions comes down to work required to make such a change. Gtk2->Gtk3 should be the easiest since it's same framework just updated. Gtk2->EFL might be the next easiest to accomplish since it's C based as well. Gtk2->Qt(4/5) would probably be the largest undertaking.

My two cents would be a move to Qt5. Now here is my reasoning. Enlightenment and Xfce share a lot of the same ideals, with that it would be difficult to differentiate Xfce from Enlightenment. The conversation of moving to Gtk3 was brought up because of the uncertainty, and in the past pointed out that Gtk3 doesn't offer a compelling reason to update from Gtk2. That leaves Qt5, it is widely used and has been setup to work on a wide range of hardware and devices. It has the backing of KDE and Digia. It it will most likely remain one of the most stable and supported options out there. The other thing to look at would be the razor-qt project. They are using Qt to make a lightweight environment akin to lxde. If you look at the razor-qt discussions you will see that one of the lxde developers has actually started to port some of their stuff over for razor-qt because he doesn't want to use Gtk anymore.

I'm not saying that Xfce should join up with them but it does offer another resource for Qt development/migration. If something like this were to happen I would say it happen after 4.12 is released. Then a focus on Qt5 to create the Xfce 5 branch. The work involved would probably take some time and by that time Qt5 should be widely adopted by distributions, and Digia will have worked out many bugs and missing features. Qt5.1 is actually due out in April and greatly improves OpenGL in the framework. So we see they are still doing lots of work to improve it.

One last thing to think about is what framework is doing the most to work on Wayland. (I didn't bring up Mir because we don't really know if that will be widely used. In either case Conical is going to port Gtk3 and Qt5 to work on Mir. That means Xfce will probably need to select one of those if it plans to work on future Ubuntu releases and forks.)

Just my 2 cents,
Alan