Whisker Menu an alternate application launcher for Xfce

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 12:06:41 CEST 2013

Le 26/06/2013 01:42, Graeme Gott a écrit :
> Does it not show an icon at all, or does it just show Wine's icon?
There is no icon at all, only text. Here is a screenshot :
http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1372240307.png
> Either way, do you know where the .desktop file is for those launchers?
They are each in subfolders in ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs :
> $ ls .local/share/applications/wine/Programs
> Black Isle                                   Death Rally
> GOG.com
> Civilization II Ultimate Classic Collection  Duke Nukem Forever 2013
> Command & Conquer                            EA Games
It is present in the menu thanks to .menu files in
~/.config/menus/applications-merged
> It would be helpful to know what the value of the icon field is.
> $ cat .local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Death\ Rally/Death\
> Rally.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Death Rally
> Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/max/.wine" wine
> C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix
> /home/max/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start\\
> Menu/Programs/Death\\ Rally/Death\\ Rally.lnk
> Type=Application
> StartupNotify=true
> Path=/home/max/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Death Rally
> Icon=7A38_dr.0
I searched for this filename in my home directory with gnome-seach-tool
and found nothing.
And yet it does appear in the Xfce applications menu.
This is puzzling... May be it is documented on the Wine website ?
> The released version does not have any localization files. However,
> several translations have been provided after I made the release and the
> next version will be translated into (so far) German, Hebrew,
> Indonesian, Italian, Romanian, Spanish, and Turkish.
>
> The "Unknown" is supposed to be your user's name but you have not set a
> real name, and the plugin does not yet fall back to your username. The
> next bugfix release will show your username if you have not set a real name.
Thanks, I'll set a real name then.
> Cheers,
> Graeme
Thanks again for this awesome plugin.
The favorites really save me a lot of mouse clicks (and possible
errors), and save me the trouble of using launchers or a dock.

Regards,
Max