Xfce and UEFI

Michael McFarlane michael at bizsolver.com
Tue Jun 18 19:44:13 CEST 2013

Neil,

I bought a new laptop recently and it came with Windows 8.  I accidently
deleted the boot partition, which is no big deal because there are lots of
'nix utilities to recover.  None of my utilities would work and I kept
getting odd messages that the HD was locked, that the partition was read
only, etc.  Welcome to UEFI!

I had never heard of UEFI before, but I eventually figured out that was the
problem.  My research said that it does speed up boot times, but Microsoft
is forcing all OEM manufacturers to use it because it makes it harder to
pirate Windows.  That's the real reason.  None of the common free utilities
work with it yet.  You can buy some, but I am familiar with the old reliable
'nix utilities and that's what I want to use.

My solution:  Reformat the hard drive with old standard BIOS and that's what
I recommend to you.  Maybe someday in the future UEFI will be mainstream,
but I don't to play around with the latest and greatest.

BTW, I had no problem finding a copy of Win 8 online, which I needed because
I blew away my copy when I reformatted.  With Win 8 you no longer get a
license key.

Mike