The future of Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jun 11 08:39:00 CEST 2013

> > I have read recently the suggestion that the future desktop for Linux
> > will be either Mate or Cinnamon or possibly both. The others, I read,
> > are destined to fall by the wayside.

Where have you read this?

Linux is a kernel and comes without a desktop environment, there are
different Linux distros available that provide a kernel + mainly
FLOSSoftware for user space. Linux isn't a company like Apple or
Microsoft. There's no consortium that decides what distros should drop
what desktop environments, there's nobody who issues an order to stop a
forge.