The future of Linux

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Jun 10 21:41:14 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 18:36 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have read recently the suggestion that the future desktop for Linux
> will be either Mate or Cinnamon or possibly both. The others, I read,
> are destined to fall by the wayside.

This is from people trying to Pigeon hole Linux. They don't understand
how to handle it. They don't understand it period. They want 1 or 1
choices and want to be told what to do and how to do it.

> I have been using Xfce for a long time, most recently with Xubuntu. I
> have looked at Mate and Cinnamon, and I have also used KDE in the past.

I've used XFCE back in the Cholesterol Free days... And still use it to
this day.

> My hope is that Xfce is going to continue into the foreseeable future. I
> just don't like the others. The whole idea of Linux is choice, right?

Not going to happen. In fact, LXDE, WM, BB and others are thriving

> Can I be confident that Xfce will continue to be supported and available
> in the future? Or is it really destined to be lost to us eventually?

This again, is just clueless individuals whom think they know. They
don't. Alwasy take those kind of deterministic predictions as what they
are: Guesses.

> Regards
>
> Neil

Cheers!
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"It is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what
he is."
    -- Desiderius Erasmus