The future of Linux

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 00:33:04 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> ... but I prefer not to run a graphical file manager as root (mainly due
>>
>> to a history of such things going and doing too much - like moving a
>> directory to trash unexpectedly and without a confirmation, really don't
>> want that happening to /etc!).
>

> ChrisA,
>
>   That's why you back up daily with dirvish, right? :-)
>
>   Try restoring all the dot files in your home directory without a current
> backup. Serious PITA!

Not familiar with dirvish. Lots of my backups these days are done with
git, but I don't usually keep all of /etc source-managed. But part of
the problem with moving a directory to trash (as opposed to actually
deleting it) is that the program running from that directory kept
going regardless (still able to find its files), while the external
utility that tried to reconfigure it was unable to find it. Was most
confusing and annoying, and it didn't help that I was already less
than enthused about graphical file managers :)

I'll use them occasionally, but I'm with Rich - command line tools for
the win. The only thing I need to do to make Xfce work perfectly for
that is configure a keystroke (I use Ctrl-Alt-T) to bring me up a new
terminal.

ChrisA