XFCE Theme Manager

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Jun 10 13:42:57 CEST 2013

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 12:14:49 +0200
houghi <houghi at houghi.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 11:52:48AM +0200, Nick Schermer wrote:
> > It the price you have to pay for a modular desktop; each appearance
> > setting is part of the package.
>
> What is the price? Not having a tool to easily edit the themes?
>
> Because having something where you can make your own theme or at least
> easily edit existing themes would be awesome.
>

> houghi

Xfce
----
Yes, indeed. But I think Nick meant that Xfce is not to be a desktop
environment where you may have FIXED tools which may be comfortable and
friendly whereas you would be bound to have part in a desktop
application that you do not want.

An example of it would be the theme manager of GNOME2 where, last time
I checked, you do not have an ability to make the theme manager to
handle with Sawfish or Xfwm4 themes.

In Xfce we may pick whatever we wish. We do not have be bound to
have the presence of applications that we are not interested in.

Settings Manager
----------------
The following is an assumption I have made out of my head so I do not
know how accurate this might be (using Xfce 4.10).

The, incomplete, way that the Xfce team is handling its modular desktop
outlook (by setting one application per component) is by plugging (or
wrapping) applications into the xfce4-settings-manager which is
convenient and also makes an impression that the various configuration
tools are somehow related to each other as if they are under a same
set, under the "umbrella" of xfce4-settings-manager.

I state that it is "incomplete" since it seems that in order to plug an
application into xfce4-settings-manager you have to particularly fiddle
with its source code, and it does not seem that non-Xfce related
software have this specific code (e.g. Wbar launch bar).

This is mostly based on an observation of mine where I tried to plug
blueman-adapters (of Blueman) into xfce4-settings-manager and it did
not work with X-XfcePluggable=true.

blueman-adapters.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Bluetooth Adapters
Comment=Set Bluetooth Adapter Properties
Exec=blueman-adapters
Icon=blueman-device
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-XFCE;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;X-XFCE-HardwareSettings;
StartupNotify=true
Encoding=UTF-8
X-XfceSettingsName=Bluetooth
X-XfcePluggable=true

#NoDisplay=true
# Ask to restore setting manager behavior of Xfce 4.6.2
# Setting manager should ignore "NoDisplay=true"

--
Proper English www.reddit.com/r/proper
4 teh lulz... http://email.is-not-s.ms