ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.3 released

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Mon Feb 18 21:55:43 CET 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:47:29 +0100
Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 18.02.2013 21:19, schrieb Robby Workman:
> > On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:49:18 +0100
> > Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> >>    - the Location tab lets you tweak latitude, longitude, altitude
> >> and timezone (autodetection powered by GeoNames)
> >

> > Forcing this to be set at compile-time is not ideal at all - how
> > about have this GEONAMES_USERNAME pulled from a config file and/or
> > an environment variable and/or some other method that lets the
> > average user change it on-the-fly?  Telling users to recompile the
> > plugin to merely change a username seems a bit much...
> >

> This notice is for distributors and package maintainers. The typical
> user usually shouldn't care about this at all. Do you expect all
> users of the plugin to register for GeoNames?

Well, maybe not all, but certainly some.  More on that in a bit.

> Anyway, a fallback option is available;
> Please read the README, section 'hidden options'.

Okay, I swear I did read the README, but dammit, I glossed over
the HIDDEN OPTIONS for whatever reason.  Prior to reading that,
I didn't realize that the credit usage would be (for the most
part) one-time only per user, and thus I was thinking that it
would be relatively quick before a moderate number of users
exhausted the available credits.

I've got an account registered, so I guess it's time to find
out just how quickly that will occur.  Thanks for the cluebat
and sorry for the noise :-)

-RW