XFCE for touchsreen

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 21 17:19:55 CEST 2012

On 21/09/12 05:48 AM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Andreas Müller
> <schnitzeltony at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use XFCE for my touchscreen devices. [snip]
> You mean you are using Xfce on more than one touchscreen device? I'm
> impressed... I've tried Xfce on my HP Touchpad and it hardened my
> conviction that there is indeed a need for touch-oriented UI on
> touchscreen devices. Both WebOS and Android are way better on my
> Touchpad.
>
> Hopefully this will not started a flame, I'm just curious for reasons
> to use Xfce on multiple touchscreen devices. Surely we all agree there
> is nothing better than Xfce on a desktop. :)

I spent a long time wondering what it was that drove the Gnome people
crazy, and it turns out that the answer is that they are suffering from
Android envy and have forgotten that desktops are not touchpads.  IMHO
it would be a tragedy if this madness infected Xfce.  If Xfce wants to
compete with Android, let it fork itself (in a nice, friendly, mutually
cooperative way) into Touch-xfce and Desk-xfce so that Desk-xfce remains
completely immunized against touch-think.

Touch-think seems to be epidemic at M$, and with any luck it will prove
fatal.  Tried W8?