xfce4-panel and multi-launchers

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sat Sep 15 00:13:20 CEST 2012

Among the many things I like about Xfce4 there's one thing I'm not
so keen on. That's when you want to add a single item to a panel
that contains "launchers" for several related tasks (e.g. terminal
windows running ssh sessions onto various hosts).

In old gnome you could add a "drawer" that contains the multiple
items: click on it and the drawer slides out, giving you access to
the individual launchers.

In Xfce4 -- unless I'm missing something -- you can't do that. You
can add a multi-launcher to a panel OK, but the first launcher
itself takes the place on the panel, with a little arrow icon/button
alongside to slide out the other ones.

I don't like it: to me, there's nothing specially privileged about
the first of the launchers, that it should occupy the single-click
slot. I find it more intuitive if single-click just slides out the
list (with, therefore, no need for a distinct arrow button).

I find myself clicking the arrow button and thinking "Where has A
gone?", where A is the first launcher I added. The answer, of
course, is that A is what you get by clicking on the "main" icon,
not the arrow -- but like I said, I don't find this intuitive.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics