Automatic window tiling

Sergio sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br
Fri Sep 14 13:39:27 CEST 2012

--- Em sex, 14/9/12, Boris Hollas <boris.hollas at gmx.de> escreveu:

> De: Boris Hollas <boris.hollas at gmx.de>
> Assunto: Automatic window tiling
> Para: xfce at xfce.org
> Data: Sexta-feira, 14 de Setembro de 2012, 7:47
> There are a number of tiling window
> managers but so far I haven't managed to smoothly run any of
> these in Xfce. Window decorations are lost, sometimes panel
> and workspaces are gone or cease to work. I have nice
> Mac-like window buttons that I want to keep although they
> aren't that useful in a tiling WM. I had a look at KDE
> recently and I like the integrated window tiling in KWin.
>
> Is there a way to set up automatic window tiling (no manual
> tiling as in x-tile) in Xfce without loosing window
> decorations and panel?
>
> Regards,
> Boris

Xfce 4.10 offers simple 1/2 screen horizontal and vertical tiling that can be bound to keyboard shortcuts (alt+f10 undoes the tiling).
Actually if you don't enable workspace wrapping (i.e., if you disable dragging windows from one workspace to the next) you can tile by dragging the window to the borders.

There's an automatic tiling app for openbox at https://github.com/lawl/opensnap but I don't know if it would work with xfwm.