three monitors with Xfce?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Oct 30 09:45:36 CET 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 09:12:48PM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> These are ATI cards, and it's on a Salix machine, I can't even find
> a driver package for them.  The proprietary installer that worked on
> my LMDE doesn't work here, and I can't find anything in the Slack
> world that looks easy.

Being more specific about the driver might give others the opportunity to
point you in the right direction.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx might be a good
start.

> >The reason I run XFCE and not GNOME or KDE is because I can have my
> >seperate X screens on all screens. Something I was unable to do with KDE
> >or GNOME.
> I had that same issue.

As far as I can tell this is a feature, not a bug. KDE and GNOME treat all
the screens as one big screen as if it were Xinerama. This is so all the
'beautifull' 3d stuff is shown.
Perhaps there is a workaround or solution, but in the 10 minutes I looked,
I found nothing.

> >houghi
> BTW,  trying an older nvidia card on my LMDE machine, there is an
> interesting bug.  My mouse pointer winks out whenever it's on a
> panel at exactly the moment that one of those descriptive lines pops
> up.  What  are those things called?  Eg. "Click to switch to
> "Workspace 5"" it delays about a second before showing, and at that
> moment, good bye pointer. Any thoughts on that?  I'm inclined to
> think it's the fault of the card, but who knows.

I only have experience with the propriaty driver from NVidia and never had
an issue. See that you have the latest driver for your product:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
(openSUSE users can just add the repo and install using zypper or YaST)

Also be sure you have the correct driver installed. There are basicaly two
types.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: