Laptop doesn't know which display to use when docked/undocked

Boris Hollas boris.hollas at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 21:12:52 CEST 2012

On 25.10.2012 20:21, Paul Johnson wrote:
> http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Using_Multiple_Screens

This seems to be specific to awesome. I tried to use a shell script that
calls xrandr (see "Problem switching between external and internal
monitor" above), but this frequently doesn't work and Xfce doesn't
notice that the canvas size changed.

With Gnome 2, I was able to cycle between outputs using fn+f7, but not
with Xfce. Also, with Gnome 2 I could avoid most problems by putting the
laptop in sleep mode before docking/undocking. With Xfce, I get I blank
screen if I forget to switch the display before undocking.

To do so, I use Settings -> Display to activate the laptop LCD. The
other day however this failed when I opened the lid again in another
room so rebooting was my only choice.

I'll check if it works better with KDE.