Laptop doesn't know which display to use when docked/undocked

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:21:54 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 at wowway.com> wrote:
> I am running xfce on F17 completely patched and current.
>
> My laptop is a HP probook 6460b.  When I boot it docked the grub screen
> appears on the external display.  When the boot has completed the
> background screen is displayed on the external display. I get no login
> prompt on the external display.  I press enter a couple of times the
> login display will appear and I'll log in then the external display goes
> dark.  I open up the laptop and it's display has the desktop on it and I
> have to manually switch to the external display and discontinue use of
> the laptop display.  If both displays are selected for use the whole
> thing wants to act like a twin head setup which I don't want.
>
> What do I have to do to get the laptop to use the external display when
> docked and it's own display when it isn't automagically. To undock the
> laptop I have to reverse the display procedure of course.  This also
> makes it impossible to "undock and run" without making manual changes as
> to which display to use.

I don't think there is any XFCE answer for this, and probably no good
linux answer, either.

My laptop uses Nvidia proprietary video drivers and Nvidia supplies a
config program called nvidia-settings.  Each time I put the machine on
the dock, or want to take the machine off the dock, I have to
explicitly run nvidia-settings to tell the laptop which displays to
use.

In my case, I like to use both the laptop's display and the external
monitor. When I start the system, on the dock or not, it always just
uses the laptop display, and I use nvidia-settings to tell it to use
Twinview to put up the external thing as well.

I wonder if you should try this. Start the laptop NOT on the dock, and
log in.  Then put the still-turned-on laptop on the dock, and then try
to tell X11 to use the external thing. I think how you do that will
depend on the particular kind of video hardware you have.

If you don't have Nvidia, so there is no program similar to
nvidia-settings, the only solution I've found is to manually edit the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or interactively run xrandr commands to turn
screens on and off.

This writeup is about activating multiple displays, but it also shows
how to turn some off.

http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Using_Multiple_Screens

I think you could write a script to turn one on, turn the other off,
if that's what you want to do.

pj

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504      Center for Research Methods
University of Kansas                 University of Kansas
http://pj.freefaculty.org               http://quant.ku.edu