Problems with Iceweasel under XFCE

Sergio sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br
Tue Oct 16 13:01:06 CEST 2012

--- Em ter, 16/10/12, brian <brian at meadows.pair.com> escreveu:

> De: brian <brian at meadows.pair.com>
> Assunto: Problems with Iceweasel under XFCE
> Para: "Xfce general discussion list" <xfce at xfce.org>
> Data: Terça-feira, 16 de Outubro de 2012, 7:11
> Hi all,
>
> My wife has finally decided to dump KDE (keeps locking up
> for her) and switch to XFCE as her desktop, but she's having
> a couple of problems which are driving me crazy. If anyone
> has any ideas, I'd be grateful.
>
> The facts are :-
>
> 1) We're both running the same OS, from the 64-bit Debian
> testing repositories, our sources.list are identical, and
> both systems are fully updated. The hardware is different,
> however - I can list the individual components if anyone
> thinks that's a factor, though it's hard to see how it could
> be.
>
> 2) If Pat uses KDE or GNOME, none of this happens, it's
> specific to XFCE.
>
> 3) I use XFCE, and I don't see the problems she
> experiences.
>
> 4) Under XFCE, Chromium (which she dislikes) works just
> fine, no problems whatever.
>
> 5) Using Iceweasel, the screen comes up in a semi-minimised
> state - I guesstimate it's about 250x150 on her 1280x1024
> desktop. I CANNOT get it to go full screen, or even to a
> size that's usable. It just will not resize - trying to drag
> the corners has no effect. I expect that Iceweasel is
> v10.0.7, at least that's what it is on my PC, I can't get to
> the help menu to check it on Pat's PC.
>
> 6) There are also problems with the menus. She can click on
> the file menu (about all she can see) but the moment she
> moves the mouse down the dropdown list, the menu closes. The
> only way she can select any of the options is by using the
> cursor keys.
>

> If all of this makes any kind of sense to anyone, I'd be
> grateful for any hints as to how to fix it. Pat INSISTS on
> using IceWeasel for browsing.
>

> Brian.

Sure makes sense, it can be some configuration issue. Try
iceweasel -h
and see if there's a safe mode option to check if it's an extension/plugin issue. Also create a new profile (the help shows how) and see if it works. If it does it's definitely some issue with her profile.
Also, less probable to be the case, try changing the GTK theme in Settings>Appearance.