bug

Worrier Poet Worrier.Poet at comcast.net
Sun Nov 18 00:06:26 CET 2012

On 11/17/2012 05:51 PM, Ray Andrews wrote:
> On 17/11/12 02:43 PM, Ray Andrews wrote:
>> Hi Worrier,
>>> You need to get your ducks in a row.
>> Indeed, that 's why I asked. But I thought I'd get the 'where' sorted
>> out before going into the 'what'.  I thought there was some official
>> place for bug reports.
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Under which distribution are you running Xfce? For instance, I run Xfce
>>> as my desktop environment for Debian testing (Wheezy). Telling us the
>>> distribution and the version of the distribution is the first step. So,
>>> Debian Squeeze, Wheezy, or Sid...or Xubuntu 12.x...or whatever.
>>>
>>> Then we need to know which version of Xfce you're running -- 4.6,
>>> 4.8, 4.10.
>>>
>>> Then you need to let us know exactly what the problem is and how to
>>> reproduce it. You should also include information on any special
>>> customizations you've made to your system and whether you are using open
>>> source video drivers or proprietary ones. It might also be useful to
>>> tell us if you have more than one desktop environment installed.
>>>
>>> Any problem with Xfce theming in any given environment may be caused by
>>> the way package maintenance for Xfce and its dependencies is handled in
>>> that distribution. So you may want to report your findings to the
>>> package maintainers for Xfce in the distro instead of directly to Xfce
>>> upstream.
>>>
>>> If you describe your problem here and others are able to reproduce the
>>> issue within the same and other distros, then it's more likely a matter
>>> for Xfce's developers themselves.
>>>
>>> Many distros (like Debian with reportbug) have their own applications
>>> specifically designed for reporting bugs within the distro. That can
>>> make it easier to gather and send the data to the correct recipients.
>>>
>>> I hope this is helpful.
>> Well ... maybe it's normal to specify everything ahead of time like
>> that, but my inclination is to start simple and provide more and more
>> info as it may be needed while homing in on the problem.
>>
>> Anyway, here's the short version:
>>
>> Version is 4.8.  Distro is LMDE.  I made myself a custom theme
>> yesterday and it works fine, however, on restarting xfce the four
>> buttons on the titlebar show up black but only in the active window
>> and only on one of my three monitors.  This is true with all themes.
>> Menu>Settings>Window Manager > change from any theme to any other
>> theme and it fixes itself right then and there.  This did not happen
>> previously, and I'd suspect my custom theme, except that it happens
>> with all themes and I can't imagine how my new theme could create a
>> bug for another theme that is untouched.  I also deleted some surplus
>> themes, so, if it is possible for one theme to somehow need the
>> presence of another theme, then that could be it.  But again, the
>> problem is only there on startup.  If anyone has any ideas ...

Hmmm. Well, in your particular circumstance, I'd try to communicate with
others on the LMDE forum / list to see if someone there can reproduce
the issue. You might need to provide them a copy of your custom theme.

Not it's either here or there, but is your theme GTK3-compliant, or is
it a GTK2 theme? I've noticed a few odd little behaviors in Xfce 4.8.6
when running a GTK3 application under GTK2 themes. But since I'm running
Debian testing, I kind of expect to see little things like that crop up
now and then. I believe only one of the themes available with Xfce in
Wheezy is currently fully GTK3-compliant.

I should probably get off my duff and report what I've, since it'll be
better if it gets fixed before Wheezy goes stable.

Good luck!