Xfce and my printer

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:59:27 CET 2012

On 16/11/2012 13:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have now installed and set up Maya Xfce on my computer. So far mostly
> so good. But there are some questions about the printer.
>
> In my last distro (Mint KDE) there was a choice for 'Printer' in the
> system settings page. I could choose that and there were various options
> such as clean print heads, print a test page etc.

You can install system-config-printer-gnome, which is a GTK interface to
CUPS. Despite it's name, it's dependencies are very lightweight.

If you put the attached system-config-printer.desktop file in
~/.local/share/applications it will be in the Xfce Settings Manager
(thanks to the modified "Categories=" line).

> I can't find anything like that in Maya, so I suppose I must use
> escputil. Is that correct? It is not a GUI program, which is OK, but I
> am wondering if there are any other suggestions please.
>
> To check the ink levels I have been using mtink. I have installed it but
> I am having some problems at the moment, but that program is just to
> check levels.

I think you can check quite a few things about your printer's states in