Suggestion: Change mousepad for pluma

jEsuSdA 8) listas at jesusda.com
Fri Nov 16 09:28:25 CET 2012

Hi,

I recently installed the gedit fork pluma from the Mate desktop.

I have test the amount of memory used by pluma is about 50% of gedit
(gtk3), and, of course, it starts very quickly.

The XFCE default text editor is mousepad and the "about" information
says the actual version came from 2006. XFCE has lot of improvements
since 2006, but mousepad is the same.

I think it will be a nice idea to use mate-text-editor pluma as a
default XFCE editor. It has some great advantages like spellchek, syntax
color, and some plugins.

It was made using gtk2, like XFCE, and it can run standalone (more or less).

The Mate desktop guys are discusing about Pluma or Geany as a default
Mate text editor, cause they have no enough people to mantain pluma as
same level than Geany developers can.

I think Geany is not a user friendly text editor, it is a great IDE, but
not a general purpose text editor.

Maybe you could join efforts to mantain Pluma and, maybe XFCE and Mate
can get benefits in this point.

I know everybody can install Pluma even it will not be part of XFCE
desktop, but doing this implies adding new repositories, and install
some extra packages I consider not needed (mate-conf, for example).

Maybe you could work to a better integration with pluma and XFCE or even
make a fork.

The point is that mousepad does not match the high quality of XFCE apps,
and pluma could sorrowfully dissapears if Mate choses Geany. Maybe XFCE
could adopt this nice text editor and take advantage from it.

Finally I'm not a developer, so I know this suggestion could be easy to
expose, difficult to accomplish, so I will understand you tell me this
is a nonsense. ;)

Excuse my poor english and let me know what do you think about this
suggestion. ;)

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)