ANNOUNCE: thunar 1.5.2 released

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:57:33 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Maximilien Noal
<noal.maximilien at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/11/2012 07:01, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Good Morning:
>
> Hello,
>

>> If I compile a newer exo, will everything else in XFCE4 break?
>

> I have the latest exo [1] and thunar [2] built from the AUR on Archlinux,
> and it didn't break anything of the rest of my Xfce 4.10 installation.
>
> I doubt it will break a Xfce 4.8 environment either, but I can't test that.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I'll keep trying. Perhaps it is truly a dependency hell and I
need to wait for a Debian release of everything.

Trying to compile evo, look what happens:

checking for libxfce4util-1.0 >= 4.9.0... found, but 4.8.2
*** The required package libxfce4util-1.0 was found on your system,
*** but the installed version (4.8.2) is too old.
*** Please upgrade libxfce4util-1.0 to atleast version 4.9.0, or adjust
*** the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed
*** the new version of the package in a nonstandard prefix so
*** pkg-config is able to find it.

I know how to build packages and  used to use Ubuntu in the past, and
remembered their launchpad system. So I took a detour so see if I
could get their packaging and just rebuild it on Debian wheezy.  It is
turning into a hassle though.

Then,I go to build libxfce4util,  and I found out it requires
libxfce4ui_4.10.0., and building that, I find it requires
libxfconf-0-dev (>= 4.10.0). These requirements may or may not be
truly necessary, but they are marked in the Ubuntu packaging, anyway.

Because I'm compulsive, I'm going to keep trying. But I wish somebody
would solve all this for me and just give me the packages.

I've admired the documentation provided on the Archlinux site, maybe I
should give that distribution a try.

pj

> [1] exo-devel 0.9.1: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20765
> [2] thunar-devel 1.5.2: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20771

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504      Center for Research Methods
University of Kansas                 University of Kansas
http://pj.freefaculty.org               http://quant.ku.edu